Sunday, April 15, 2012

Gowns by Adrian - 1930's Glamour

Gabriel Adrian was THE fashion designer of the 1930s and well into the 40's golden era of film history. His beautiful gowns, specially designed for each star and film, have graced the beauties of Joan Crawford, Jean Harlow, Norma Shearer, and Greta Garbo. I would venture to say many of today's designers, if they are quality at all, would know of Adrian, as he was known only by "Adrian."  

This is one of my most cherished coffee table books http://www.amazon.com/Gowns-Adrian-The-Years-1928-1941/dp/0810908980. In every popular 1930s movies you will see, Adrian...if it was a worthwhile film in my humble opinion, will feature this talented and gifted designer.  He was on contract exclusively for MGM the most powerful and glamorous studio of its day in the 30's.




Here are a few of my favorite Adrian gowns in some of the films his work was featured.


China Seas (1935), Jean Harlow



It was difficult to find pictures online of this spectacular dress.  Here is a YouTube video where you can see it in action a little better.  How lovely is this?  I love the beautiful sleeves and how they attach so lightly to the silk.  Just gorgeous!   Not hard to see how many designers of today get their inspiration indirectly or directly from Adrian.





The Bride Wore Red (1937), Joan Crawford




The actual red dress was a character of its own in this movie.  I found this photo online of the dress, where it was displayed in an exhibition at a fashion museum in NYC.  I would die to go to an exhibit of "Gowns from the Golden Age".  There have been some such exhibits that include a gown or two but none exclusively devoted to the fashion, interestingly enough.  I suppose it is because the gowns are so hard to track down.  I think many of the gowns are owned by private collectors.  I hope so!  I would hate to think of any of those beautiful gowns being stuffed in a chest, covered with dust, eaten by moths in some Hollywood archive.  Ugh, just the thought upsets me!  At least the gowns live on in the films.

Dinner at Eight (1933)

Adrian also designed all the beautiful gowns worn in Dinner at Eight.  I wrote about this film starring Jean Harlow in my Jean Harlow post.  Here is a video featuring some of the gowns from the film.  I especially love the dressing gown with the huge feathery sleeves.  I would wear that now seriously!  What girl doesn't like to feel glamorous while she is getting ready for any evening out?  :)




1 comment: